To plan business systems, use the following planning process:
- Analyze your Business Situation: take into consideration the current business environment as well as the costs and benefits of implementing a new system.
- Establish Purpose and Goals: define the purpose of the new system and what you expect to achieve from it.
- Assign Responsibility and Milestones: assign responsibility for implementation to individual employees, with a timeline for achieving the identified goals.
- Communicate the Strategy and Plan to Staff: ensure that employees understand what is required of them.
- Acknowledge Achievement when Goals are Reached: when goals and objectives are met, offer some form of reward as an incentive to encourage and thank people for their efforts.
Questions to ask when analyzing new systems & processes:
- What systems or processes will you implement in relation to the management of your staff?
- To what extent will your operations be automated?
- What system will you have in place to manage your inventory?
- What system will you have in place to recognise and reward employees for achieving business goals and objectives?
- What systems and procedures will you have in place to ensure quality control?
- What are some of the tools you will use to monitor projects?
Technology Based Systems
Accounting software. This is important, even if you have your own accountant or bookkeeper. Accounting software allows you to see your profits and losses at a glance. It can also help you design and maintain a budget for your business.
Planning software or tools. A calendar system is a must. There are many online planning systems that can be utilized to help you keep your calendar organized. Find a system that meets your business’ needs and be sure to stick with it.
Time tracking software. A time tracking device will help you determine what tasks result in a profit and what tasks do not. This will help you determine what tasks can be eliminated, outsourced, or improved. If you’re looking at software that requires a fee, ask for a free trial first to make sure it’s the right software for you.
Email management. As a business owner, you probably use several email accounts to manage the various aspects of your company. If you streamline these emails to one account, you’ll be able to stay organized and abreast of your emails.
Mobile internet access. Access to the internet on your mobile device will not only make your life easier, it will also help you maintain a positive reputation for your business. For example, if you are able to follow up with a client by email immediately after a meeting, you will be showing that you are accessible, timely and professional.